Tuesday 31 August 2010

You are what you eat...

And if that's true then I'm a courgette!! After planting 24 courgette plants I have been swamped with them. haha The freezer is now stuffed full of them and I multiple jars of pickled courgette and courgette chutney (both really nice).

I really didn't hold out much hope for my veg patch this year because I was so late in arriving and didn't have time to get the soil ready properly or to look after it once I did seed. But I have been amazed at how fast and how well everything grew!

Here is a picture from the patch about a month ago, it has now been extended out to accommodate winter stuff.

Photobucket


And here is the amount I normally pick every morning although with variation - (except for courgettes- they are always there!)

Photobucket


And the other night my neighbour helped me pick my first watermelon, which was huge at 18kg! And sweet and crunchy to eat..!


Photobucket

I have been busy trying to preserve everything and have found some great recipes in the process. Today I made some green tomato chutney..

Here are all the ingredients chopped up (tomatoes. onions, sugar, vinegar, chilli and raisins)


Photobucket


And the finished product. I have so many tomatoes that I will make another batch tomorrow.

Photobucket


As well as stuff I have grown, there are also some free food to be had including tons of blackberries. So today I made my third batch of blackberry jam.

Photobucket


Really fresh tasting, yummy jam!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

BlogCatalog

Womens Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory